Re: BUG #18098: Console code page issue Postgresql 14.7

From: Gokul Krishnan <gokulkrishnan99102(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18098: Console code page issue Postgresql 14.7
Date: 2023-09-08 10:21:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Laurenz,
Apologies for the inconvenience,I have shared the detailed
description below. Kindly provide a solution for this issue.
I have tried to initialize data directory using this below command,
*initdb.exe -D "..\data" -U postgres --no-locale -E UTF8*

Exact error returned by postgres,

*initdb: error: The program "postgres" was found by
"E:\pgsql\bin/initdb.exe"but was not the same version as initdb.Check your
installation.*
[image: image.png]

I have tried with different chcp values(1252,437.. etc) that are supported
by postgres <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/multibyte.html> but
doesn't work for my case(encoding command also changed according to
registry chcp value) .If I remove the *Active code page : 65001* from the
registry editor, then the above mentioned initdb command executes
successfully.

Successful execution log for your reference,

*Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.3324](c) Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved.E:\pgsql\bin>initdb.exe -D "..\data" -U postgres
--no-locale -E UTF8The files belonging to this database system will be
owned by user "gokul".*

*This user must also own the server process.The database cluster will be
initialized with locale "C".The default text search configuration will be
set to "english".Data page checksums are disabled.creating directory
../data ... okcreating subdirectories ... okselecting dynamic shared memory
implementation ... windowsselecting default max_connections ...
100selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MBselecting default time zone
... Asia/Calcuttacreating configuration files ... okrunning bootstrap
script ... okperforming post-bootstrap initialization ... oksyncing data to
disk ... okinitdb: warning: enabling "trust" authentication for local
connectionsYou can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the option
-A, or--auth-local and --auth-host, the next time you run initdb.Success.
You can now start the database server using: pg_ctl -D ^"^.^.^\data^" -l
logfile start*

[image: image.png]

Registry Editor key I have removed,
*Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Command Processor\Autorun
-> *Removed the *Value data(chcp 65001)* content.

[image: image.png]

My Current System locale is *English (United States)*

[image: image.png]

*Thanks & Regards,*
Gokul