Re: Tow kinds of different result while using create index concurrently

From: 高健 <luckyjackgao(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tow kinds of different result while using create index concurrently
Date: 2013-06-25 09:33:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello:

When I traced the source code of PG more deeply.

I can find the following:

VirtualTransactionId *

GetCurrentVirtualXIDs(TransactionId limitXmin, bool excludeXmin0,

bool allDbs, int excludeVacuum,

int *nvxids)

{

……

for (index = 0; index < arrayP->numProcs; index++)

{

volatile PGPROC *proc = arrayP->procs[index];

……

if (allDbs || proc->databaseId == MyDatabaseId)

{

/* Fetch xmin just once - might change on us */

TransactionId pxmin = proc->xmin;

if (excludeXmin0 && !TransactionIdIsValid(pxmin))

continue;

/*

* InvalidTransactionId precedes all other XIDs, so a proc that

* hasn't set xmin yet will not be rejected by this test.

*/

if (!TransactionIdIsValid(limitXmin) ||

TransactionIdPrecedesOrEquals(pxmin, limitXmin))

{

VirtualTransactionId vxid;

GET_VXID_FROM_PGPROC(vxid, *proc);

if (VirtualTransactionIdIsValid(vxid))

vxids[count++] = vxid;

}

}

}

LWLockRelease(ProcArrayLock);

*nvxids = count;

return vxids;

}

For my first test program, when <if (allDbs || proc->databaseId ==
MyDatabaseId) > condition is met,

The pxmin is 0, so <(excludeXmin0 && !TransactionIdIsValid(pxmin))> is met,
there Is no chance to make count++.

For my second test program, when <if (allDbs || proc->databaseId ==
MyDatabaseId) > condition is met,

The pxmin is not 0, so <(excludeXmin0 && !TransactionIdIsValid(pxmin))> is
not met, The vxids[count++] = vxid is executed.

The pxmin is from proc->xmin.

And I heard that when a process is working, it get transaction id from
system, then use it as xmin when inserting a record.

Why the proc->xmin can be 0 ? Is it a bug?