Re: Is there any method to limit resource usage in PG?

From: 高健 <luckyjackgao(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there any method to limit resource usage in PG?
Date: 2013-08-28 01:49:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi:

Now the situation goes there:
In the testing environment,
even when my customer changed shared_buffers from 1024MB to 712MB or 512MB,
The total memory consumption is still almost the same.

I think that PG is always using as much resource as it can,
For a query and insert action,
Firstly , the data is pull into private memory of the backend process
which is service client.
Then, the backend process push the data into shared memory, here into
shared_buffers.
If the shared_buffers is not big enough to hold all the result data, then
part of data will be in shared_buffer,
the other data will still remain in backend process's memory.

Is my understanding right?

Best Regard