Updating pg_attribute to widen column

From: Justin Julicher <justin(dot)julicher(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Updating pg_attribute to widen column
Date: 2012-11-30 06:04:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Psql Version: 8.4

Hi,

We need to widen a column on a table with millions of rows and the only way
to do this currently is to migrate the data from one column to another with
a script and trigger.

I know how to do this via an update to pg_attribute which would incur the
table scan penalty but I have a number of questions is –

- Does postgres pick up this change straight away?
- Are there any caveats to my first question?

thanks,

Justin