Re: Why mention to Oracle ?

From: Roberto Mello <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why mention to Oracle ?
Date: 2024-09-20 22:48:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 20, 2024 at 11:43 AM Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:

> My suggestion is: Postgres DOCs are written and have to be read by
> Postgres users, just that. If you are Oracle user, search for a tutorial on
> how to migrate to Postgres or find tools for it, but not in DOCs

As Tomas, Tom and others pointed out, it's simply because it is a common
database people
migrate from and ask for help, and people contributed patches to the
documentation out of their
own need, or to help others.

(Several) years ago I wrote a since-deprecated section of the docs to port
from PL/SQL to
PL/pgSQL because it was needed back then.

Because if you write something for Oracle users, SQL Server users can claim
> why there is no "Porting from T-SQL to PL/pgSQL" ?
> And MySQL users can do the same, and so on.

And those users are welcome to contribute patches to the docs explaining
why they think
those additions to our docs would be helpful.

> Maybe Oracle was the most common DB which migrated to Postgres, but I'm
> not sure this is true for today.

I don't know about you, but in my experience that is absolutely not true. I
deal with lots of people
and companies migrating from Oracle, or whose staff have experience with
Oracle and need
help adapting that knowledge to Postgres.

Roberto