Re: Understanding memory usage

From: Damiano Albani <damiano(dot)albani(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: psycopg <psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Understanding memory usage
Date: 2013-11-01 18:11:45
Lists: psycopg

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Daniele Varrazzo <
daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I easily expect a much bigger overhead in building millions of Python
> object compared to building 20. Not only for the 37 bytes of overhead
> each string has (sys.getsizeof()), but also for the consequences for
> the GC to manage objects in the millions.

For the record, I've eventually settled for a solution using
*pgnumpy*<http://code.google.com/p/pgnumpy/>
.
It's capable of handling results made of millions of rows with very little
overhead as far as I could see.
As my original goal was to feed the data to Pandas down the line, pgnumpy
seems spot on.

--
Damiano Albani