Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

From: Sándor Daku <daku(dot)sandor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date: 2016-05-04 13:07:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4 May 2016 at 13:36, Szymon Lipiński <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 4 May 2016 at 13:13, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> A few observations
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
>> wrote:

>>> not the wrong
>>> of writing and
>>>
>>> Your source for this statement please? "For many" sounds rather like
>>> weasel-words to me. In my experience, a wide range of people, from
>>> beginners to experts, find SQL easy to write and debug. I'm afraid
>>> that the problem seems to me to be that your peg is rather too square.
>>>

>> I actually agree with dandl on this. Folks can write SQL but often
>> aren't really comfortable using it as core application logic.
>>
>> I.e. one often sees code that retrieves a bunch of records from the db,
>> loops through them, and transforms the data as part of the OLTP workflow.
>> It is obviously much better of one can think about SQL as business logic
>> but this is not that often.
>>
>> I.e. people think the peg is square but indeed it is round.
>>

> From my perspective there is one more thing: when I tried, in couple of
> companies, to move some part of the logic to a database, then usually the
> management said "no, that's not doable, as we will have trouble with
> finding good sql programmers later", and we were still writing all the
> logic outside the database.

Yeah. The classic "We have a bunch of scissors, so use them instead of
screwdrivers. Oh, and by the way, please redesign our screws, to make them
more scissor compatible." approach. :)
The real shame, when they buy an expensive, feature-rich DBMS, run it on a
kick ass hardware and then using it as a glorified file cabinet.

Regards,
Sándor