Re: Client deadlocks when connecting via ssl

From: Maciek Sakrejda <maciek(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Client deadlocks when connecting via ssl
Date: 2015-01-25 20:33:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I wanted to follow up on a bug report [1] from October. In a reply, Heikki
conceded that there does seem to be an issue with how Postgres interacts
with OpenSSL, but the nature of the API makes it difficult to fix.

I'm with Heroku Postgres, and though the issue is not Heroku-specific, it
does seem to affect a lot of our customers, especially ones using the
Python Gunicorn web server. One particular account of this is written up in
a blog post [2]. It's a frustrating issue that's rather hard to diagnose.

Is there anything we can do to help resolve this? Are there any recommended
workarounds?

Thanks,
Maciek

[1]: http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5436991B.5020708@vmware.com