Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint

From: Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto(dot)d(dot)sera(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Angelico <rosuav(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint
Date: 2013-02-05 13:20:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Chris,

> I don't see
> any reason to create a record with a NULL and then replace that NULL
> before committing. Sort out program logic first; then look to the
> database.

I beg to differ here. Say you have a set of business rules that
rigidly defines how that field must be made AND the data on which it
is based is not visible to the user who does the insert. At this point
you need "something" to generate that value on the fly for the user
(calling a procedure from a before insert trigger). You still need
your field to be NOT NULL, though. Because it happens to be... the PK
:)

Cheers
Bèrto

--
If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in a