Re: export to parquet

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: export to parquet
Date: 2020-08-26 19:11:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 9:00 PM Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
wrote:

> I have no Hadoop, no HDFS. Just looking for the easiest way to export some
> PG tables into Parquet format for testing--need to determine what kind of
> space reduction we can get before deciding whether to look into it more.
>
> Any suggestions on particular tools? (PG 12, Linux)
>
> For simple exporting, the simplest thing is a single-node instance of
Spark.

You can read parquet files in Postgres using
https://github.com/adjust/parquet_fdw if you so desire but it does not
support writing as parquet files are basically immutable.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more