Re: Let's Do the CoC Right

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
Cc: Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Date: 2016-01-24 09:54:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
wrote:

> On 24 January 2016 at 00:15, Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 00:00:27 +0000
> > Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj> wrote:
> >> Did I say we all need equal protection? No. I said we're all entitled
> >> to the same level of protection.
> >
> > The preceding two sentences form a distinction that will need some
> > elaboration.
>
> I'm not quite sure how. Maybe English isn't your first language?
>
> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/entitle
> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/need
>
> > Come on, the preceding is contrived to the point of being silly. You
> > know exactly what I mean.
>
> No, it absolutely isn't. Your point is "here is a group of people who
> have no right to an opinion because XYZ". My point is that by
> generalising to the group you are ignoring the individuals within it.

With due respect to everyone in this conversation, the emphasis should not
be in protecting people. It should be in protecting the project as a
common endeavor. Protecting individuals from certain kinds of behavior is
necessary in accomplishing that. But it isn't the primary goal and should
not be.

I also think it is important to set that expectation early on. That this
is about the needs of the community.

I am concerned that there is a drive to jump on a particular cultural
bandwagon here which may *appear* to be inclusive but is in fact very
exclusionary and would push the project into a very distinctly political
direction internationally.