Re: POSTGRESQL Newbie

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Geek Matter <geekmatter(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POSTGRESQL Newbie
Date: 2012-03-21 07:42:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Geek Matter <geekmatter(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> scott,
>
> thanks for quick response you mean all  the dowmain .info and .org domains
> are using postgresql?

I am pretty sure he means the top level domains (registration, root
DNS server updates, etc) are all run off PostgreSQL.

In terms of raw performance, I would also recommend reading the
article on CNAF (1 Billion SQL queries a day) at http://pgmag.org/.
It may not be a web site....

Etsy also uses PostgreSQL.

My experience is that PostgreSQL performs quite well under extremely
varied loads.

However, I think you are asking the wrong question. I think the key
questions are:

1) What do you want in an RDBMS?

2) What options are there available in both?

3) What doors do I want to leave open in the future that one or the
other provides?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers