Re: kind of a bag of attributes in a DB . . .

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: kind of a bag of attributes in a DB . . .
Date: 2019-09-08 10:01:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 5:17 PM Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Say, you get lots of data and their corresponding metadata, which in
> some cases may be undefined or undeclared (left as an empty string).
> Think of youtube json files or the result of the "file" command.
>
> I need to be able to "instantly" search that metadata and I think DBs
> are best for such jobs and get some metrics out of it.
>
> I know this is not exactly a kosher way to deal with data which can't
> be represented in a nice tabular form, but I don't find the idea that
> half way off either.
>
> What is the pattern, anti-pattern or whatever relating to such design?
>
> Do you know of such implementations with such data?

We do the debug logs of JSONB with some indexing. It works in some
limited cases but you need to have a good sense of index possibilities and
how the indexes actually work.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more