Re: Has anyone heard of dev01 and their switch from PG to SQL-Server?

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vinny <vinny(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)berkus(dot)org>, Joshua Kramer <joskra42(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Has anyone heard of dev01 and their switch from PG to SQL-Server?
Date: 2017-07-20 07:29:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:53 AM, vinny <vinny(at)xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:
> > It sounds more like a microsoft project to prove SQL-Server can be used
> on
> > linux in production,
> > than an actual case study. Especially the bit about "an immense
> reduction in
> > database maintenance requirements".
> > SQL-Server requiring less maintenance than PostgreSQL? What where they
> > doing?
> >
> > Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how their new setup holds out, maybe
> we
> > can learn something from it.
>
> Without any actual numbers, facts and numbers, it is hard to make an
> opinion about something. Especially, there is no way to know if
> something wrong has been done with Postgres just by looking at this
> post, particularly if there have been misconfigurations. So based only
> on this information provided here this is just magic powder in the
> eyes.

Additionally there are areas where I would expect SQL Server to in fact
require less database maintenance and some areas where it is the clearly
correct choice in a given environment.

However.... Unless you have a vast amount of in-house experience with both
I seriously doubt that you will see a reduction in database administration
load from switching even in those cases. Now, if your database team are
SQL Server gurus who were trying out PostgreSQL, then yeah I could imagine
it.