Re: Questions about btree_gin vs btree_gist for low cardinality columns

From: Morris de Oryx <morrisdeoryx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Questions about btree_gin vs btree_gist for low cardinality columns
Date: 2019-06-01 09:02:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 6:24 PM Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
wrote:

> On 01/06/2019 14:52, Morris de Oryx wrote:
>
> I'd expect the distribution of values to be closer to a power law than
> the Normal distribution -- at very least a few states would have the
> most lookups. But this is my gut feel, not based on any scientific
> analysis!

G'day and thanks! (I'm in the country to the left of you....) Yeah, and my
mocked data divides things up fairly evenly :(

I meant to mention that when I did my tests that I only had one index on at
a time to prevent confusion. I also ran the speed tests several times so
each was on a warm cache.