Re: Incremental aggregate/rollup strategy advice

From: Morris de Oryx <morrisdeoryx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steven Winfield <Steven(dot)Winfield(at)cantabcapital(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incremental aggregate/rollup strategy advice
Date: 2019-07-08 13:34:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Steven, nice suggestions. I should have mentioned that the
deployment setup is on RDS on PG 11.x, which rules out those extensions.
I've looked at TimescaleDB several times, and it looks pretty great.

I've now read through some of the archives from years back when
pg_xact_commit_timestamp was still in development, and I'm thinking it
might be the right solution. I'm still not clear how long timestamps are
held, or what the overhead is. It sounds like commit timestamps might be
exactly the same, but that's fine for me. So long as they're never in the
past, it doesn't matter how many timestamps are the same.