Re: UUID v1 optimizations...

From: Morris de Oryx <morrisdeoryx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UUID v1 optimizations...
Date: 2019-05-26 10:38:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Here's what I was thinking of regarding disk space:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/storage-page-layout.html

That's the kind of low-level detail I try *not* to worry about, but like to
have in the back of my mind at least a little. If I read it correctly, a
fixed-length field is going to be marked as present with a bit, and then
inlined in the row storage without any extra cost for an address. So not
much in the way of extra overhead. Spending the space on a field, reduces
the compute needed to constantly perform extracts on the UUID field to
access the same information.

But that particular trade-off is an ancient discussion and judgement call,
you know your requirements and constraints better than anyone else. So,
I'll leave it at that.