Re: Downloads page

From: Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Downloads page
Date: 2013-11-15 01:29:23
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > BigSQL ( www.bigsql.org) provides hadoop access from Postgres via the
> > HadoopFDW ( www.hadoopfdw.org). I would like to propose a modification
> > the /downloads page that replaces our "Java PostgreSQL Server Bundles"
> slot
> > with a "PostgreSQL and Hadoop Integration" section. Please find the
> patch
> > attached for your review.
>
> If I'm honest, I'm not overly keen on this. The Java bundles were
> interesting because they contained a whole application/development
> stack for users to play with.

I see. These are actually developer bundles more than anything. It's
really the same idea as the application server bundles, it's really about
integrating all of the components into an unzip-able stack and a shell
script with a 'Go' button. The HadoopFDW is a new component, and I hear
you there, it's really part of the integrated stack that gives you the
ability to sandbox Postgres + Hadoop quickly with no fuss.

--Scott