Re: Re: Building PL/Perl procedural language without --with-perl configure flag

From: Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>
To: postgres user <postgresuser1989(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Building PL/Perl procedural language without --with-perl configure flag
Date: 2017-01-15 12:06:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 6:35 AM, postgres user <postgresuser1989(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> The already installed Postgres edition was built using the same
> installation procedure as mentioned in the docs, but without the use of
> --with-perl flag. the point I ask the question is because I want to install
> PL/Perl as a separate extension as one does with PostGIS and not along with
> Postgres install. Is there a way out to solve that problem of building the
> PL/Perl language by somehow creating a custom Makefile as we have for
> contrib extensions or PostGIs etc... and then giving it the path of
> pg_config hence leading to an installation?

The common way of doing this is the following:

1. Download the same source that you used to build your existing postgres
2. In your existing postgres 'bin' directory, run pg_config
-- This will show you the full string passed to configure and your
CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc...
3. Re-run configure using the same environment as specified by pg_config,
just add --with-perl
4. Build the server
5. Install the binaries

Note: After building, you could always run a diff between the existing
installation and a new installation and only install the differences.

Scott Mead
Sr. Architect
*OpenSCG <http://openscg.com>*
http://openscg.com