Re: Changing listen_addresses

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
To: "Birchall, Austen" <austen(dot)birchall(at)metoffice(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing listen_addresses
Date: 2013-07-23 19:34:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Birchall, Austen
<austen(dot)birchall(at)metoffice(dot)gov(dot)uk> wrote:
> I just spotted that my server seems to have 2 postgresql.conf files installed
>
> One at
>
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
>
> And another one at
>
> /var/lib/pgsql/9.1/data/postgresql.conf

Check that they are effectively two different files and not a link
(many distros do this kind of trick).
As suggested you can check the value and the settings from the catalog:
select name,setting, source, sourcefile, sourceline from pg_settings
where name like '%listen%'

If you get a null sourcefile it could be that some init script is
overriding the configuration somehow. Check for all the running
processes and see if postmaster is invoked with the -c option, that
will point you to the config file to modify.,

Luca