max_connections different between primary and standby: is it possible?

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: max_connections different between primary and standby: is it possible?
Date: 2022-02-03 09:36:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,
running PostgreSQL 14, physical replication with slot, after changing
(increasing) the max_connections on the primary, I had this message at
a restart from the standby:

DETAIL: max_connections = 100 is a lower setting than on the primary
server, where its value was 300.

and the standby does not start until I raise also its max_connections.
Why is PostgreSQL requiring the max_connections to be aligned between
the primary and the standby?

Thanks,
Luca