Re: Postgres 9.6 to 12.7 pg_upgrade error - terminating connection due to administrator command

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dhanush D <dhanushdk94(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 9.6 to 12.7 pg_upgrade error - terminating connection due to administrator command
Date: 2021-08-03 12:54:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 10:31 PM Dhanush D <dhanushdk94(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Sharing more context on this: if I run
>
> /usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/pg_dump -d <db_name> -t public.auth_permission;
>
> I see multiple "CREATE SEQUENCE public.auth_permission_id_seq" commands. This seems unusual.

Seems there is either a problem on the catalogs (as suggested by
David) or there is something within your template databases (but I
would not expect it on a clean installation).
Doing a catalog reindex could be a good try.
Also I would not do a pg_upgrade thru three major releases, I would
spend some time doing a more conservative approach.

Luca