Re: select version() with internal number version?

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: crvv(dot)mail(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: select version() with internal number version?
Date: 2018-08-10 11:35:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 3:51 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Also, if you're using libpq, see PQserverVersion() which
> (a) avoids a round trip to the server, and (b) works further back
> than server_version_num, though that issue is probably academic
> to most folk at this point (server_version_num appeared in 8.2).

Thanks but server_version_num is what I was looking for, since I need
to get the version number from outside PostgreSQL in foreign languages
(python, perl, etc).
I don't believe going back than 8.2 is a metter in this case, since
this is for supporting tools that should not...ehm...support any more
EOL versions.

Luca