Re: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jason Ralph <jralph(at)affinitysolutions(dot)com>
Cc: Benoit Lobréau <benoit(dot)lobreau(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0
Date: 2019-09-09 06:48:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 2:15 AM Jason Ralph <jralph(at)affinitysolutions(dot)com> wrote:
> I currently have the systems running a parallel pg_dump each night to a separate partition mounted on the VM. Then I perform a full backup of the VM and all mounted drives each night. Would this be affected by disabling wal archiving? I noted that I understood wal archiving was affected in my initial question. But I was not able to see how it could affect my setup. Please school me if I am being naive.

No, if you are using pg_dump you are not affected by archiving.
Archiving is used to backup with tools like pgbackrest, barman, wal-e
and alike. If you are running your database isolated (i.e., no slaves,
no advanced backups), running it without replication level in wal and
using only pg_dump is fine.

Luca