Re: Moving Database Cluster to another drive

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
To: Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving Database Cluster to another drive
Date: 2015-05-18 06:27:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> - How indexes are actually implemented in PostgreSQL (how pgsql point to a
> record from an index)?

Not an easy answer. An index can have different implementation types,
but for short each index has a pointer to the block on disk that
contain the tuple. And indexes are, of course, on disk stuff.

> - Could copying tables and indexes have had an effect on indexes?

Should not, but it could be.

> - How can I verify that some of the indexes were not corrupted?

Use explain, see pg_stat_user_indexes and do a reindex if you believe
an index is corrupted.

I would expect this being more likely an issue with the hard drive
(e.g., different seek times from the previous one).

Luca