Re: Pgadmin4 System Stats Extension Design

From: Sahil Harpal <sahilharpal1234(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgadmin4 System Stats Extension Design
Date: 2023-07-11 08:59:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 12:04, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Try preloading the extension in the PostgreSQL server.
> e.g. Add this extension in the 'shared_preload_libraries' in
> postgresql.conf.
>
> Reference: https://pgpedia.info/s/shared_preload_libraries.html

Thank you, Ashesh! I will try this and provide you with an update.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 12:39, Aditya Toshniwal <
aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Sahil,
>
> Just to mention, make sure you're not using any chart component other than
> StreamingChart if the data is frequently updated.
> We have faced performance issues for continuously updating charts with
> Chart.js.

Also, as Aditya has mentioned, yeah, it will definitely affect the
performance, as re-rendering the charts would be costly. So, would love to
know suggestions for Disk info and Process info, as we have decided to use
pie and bar charts over there.
Either we can reload the charts only when the tab changes, or we can use
StreamingChart for them too?

Also, currently, StreamingChart is not formatting the axis values and takes
much space in case of larger values eg. memory_usage, handle_count etc. Can
we add a custom formatter for y-axis values? I have attached the images for
the same.

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/png 11.3 KB
image/png 12.3 KB