Re: Is file system replication sufficient to recovery?

From: Paul Carlucci <paul(dot)carlucci(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Korach <tom(at)safekeep(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is file system replication sufficient to recovery?
Date: 2021-12-30 21:30:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

Repeat after me: "RAID is not a backup". Write it down, chisel it into your
monitor, tattoo it on your arm. Yes, DRBD replicates data at the block
level but if you do a mass update and scramble your data in one place then
you still have two perfectly identical copies of bad data.

DRBD is pretty neat in that you create a block device under DRBD, that
device is replicated elsewhere, and then on top of that device you format a
filesystem or can use it as a raw device. As writes happen locally they
get shuffled to the other side.

--Paul D. Carlucci