DB Server slow down & hang during Peak hours of Usage

From: KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DB Server slow down & hang during Peak hours of Usage
Date: 2023-08-07 13:41:59
Lists: pgsql-general

List ,

Maintaining a DB Server Postgres and with a lot of read writes to this
Server( virtual machine running on ESXi 7 with CentOS 7) .

( I am not sure how to get the read / write counts or required IOPS or any
other parameters for you. If you point our I can execute those commands
and get the data. )

Peak hours say 19:00 Hrs to 21:00 hrs it hangs ( The application is an
Emergency call response system writing many Emergency Response vehicles
locations coordinates to the DB every 30 Seconds and every emergency call
metadata (username, phone number, location info and address of the caller
to the DB for each call)

During these hours the system hangs and the Application ( which shows the
location of the vehicles on a GIS map hangs ) and the CAD machines which
connects to the system hangs as those machines can't connect to the DB and
get data for displaying the caller information to the call taking persons
working on them. )

*Issue : *
How to trace out what makes this DB hangs and make it slow and how to fix
it..

*Resource poured on the system :*

*64 vCPUs allocate ( Out of a host machine comprised of 2 processor slots
of 20 cores each with Hyper Threading, intel xeon 2nd Gen, CPU usage show
50 % in vCentre Console), and RAM 64 GB allocated ( buy usage always
showing around 33 GB only ) *

*Query :*

How to rectify the issues that makes the DB server underperforming and find
a permanent fix for this slow down issue*. *

*Attached the Postgres.conf file here for reference .*

*Any more information required I can share for analysis to fix the issue. *

*Krishane *

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql(1).conf application/octet-stream 26.3 KB