Re: pgBackRest for a 50 TB database

From: KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Abhishek Bhola <abhishek(dot)bhola(at)japannext(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgBackRest for a 50 TB database
Date: 2023-10-04 05:44:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,
Happy to hear you successfully performed pgBackRest for a 50TB DB. Out of
curiosity I would like to know your infrastructure settings.

1. The connectivity protocoal and bandwidth you used for your backend
storage ? Is it iSCSI, FC FCoE or GbE ? what's the exact reason for
the 26 Hours it took in the best case ? What factors may reduce 26 Hours to
much less time say 10 Hour or so for a 50 TB DB to backup destination ??
What to fine tune or deploy for a better performance?

2. It has been said that you are running the DB on a 2 slot 18 core
processor = 36 Physical cores .. Is it a dedicated Server H/W entirely
dedicated for a 50 TB database alone ?
Why I asked, nowadays mostly we may run the DB servers on VMs in
virtualized environments.. So I would like to know all 36 Physical cores
and associated RAM are all utilized by your 50 TB Database server ? or any
vacant CPU cores/Free RAM on those server machines?

3. What kind of connectivity/bandwidth between DB server and Storage
backend you established ( I Want to know the server NIC card details,
Connectivity Channel protocol/bandwidth and Connecting Switch spec from DB
Server to Storage backend( NAS in this case right ?)

Could you share the recommendations / details as in your case , Becoz I'm
also in need to perform such a pgBackRest trial from a production DB to
a suitable Storage Device( Mostly Unified storage DELL Unity)

Any inputs are most welcome.

Thanks,
Krishane