Re: High SYS CPU - need advise

From: Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High SYS CPU - need advise
Date: 2012-11-15 20:20:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Merlin,

this is not my report, probably from a thread that I've referenced as
having a common symptoms. Here is info about my db:

Postgresql 9.1.6.
Postgres usually has 400-500 connected clients, most of them are idle.
Database is over 1000 tables (across 5 namespaces), taking ~150Gb on disk.
We have mostly select statements (joins across few tables), using indexes
and resulting in a small number of records returned.

So mostly small lookups across few tables joining by a primary key / index.
Also, I just perform an experiment - I switched our app over to using hot
PITR instead of master and it experienced the same problem. So since PITR
db can only perform read-only queries, there is no write-locks (except
maybe when pitr is playing wal records from the master?), nevertheless SYS
CPU jumped sky.

-- Vlad