Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro

From: Jonathan Wright <jonathan(at)almalinux(dot)org>
To: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro
Date: 2022-01-04 16:38:42
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 10:35 AM Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2022-01-04 at 11:13 -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > I defer to Devrim on if the PostgreSQL YUM Repo supports AlmaLinux. I
> > did see some random Internet instructions that shows how to install
> > packages from the PostgreSQL YUM repo onto AlmaLinux systems.
>
> I build packages on RHEL 8 and then test on Rocky 8, like I used to
> test on CentOS 8 in the past. I know that many people want to see Alma
> Linux as a supported distro, but at some point I had to make a decision
> which clone should be the "main" supported one -- and that's Rocky
> Linux.
>
> (I'm not going to start a discussion about who are behind two distros,
> as this won't be a technical one, and also not related to this list).
>
> I'm quite sure that packages will work on Alma Linux, but no intention
> to test the packages on yet-another-clone.

Makes sense. All of the clones are supposed to be binary compatible so
testing across tons of them would be mostly a waste of time.

I'm happy to set up a build node on Alma and add it to the build farm if
that helps everyone feel better about listing Alma as well.

--
Jonathan Wright
AlmaLinux Foundation