New here: trouble getting postgres 9.3 running as service on windows 8.1

From: Malik Rumi <malik(dot)a(dot)rumi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New here: trouble getting postgres 9.3 running as service on windows 8.1
Date: 2014-03-02 10:19:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello to you all.

I overcame the first errors I got about the TEMP environmental variable
thanks to the info on the wiki. Then I got two warnings after install. 1)
is that the adminpack did not install, and it asked if I was listening on
the port. 2) was that I needed to check the conf.

A) *I don't know how I'll fix this yet, - that's why I'm here - but once I
do, how do I install the admin? Do I run the install again?*

* B) I googled and found some posts insisting that I install on C:\postgres
so as to avoid the spaces in the Windows path. But I used a windows
installer with Program Files as the default. Surely the installer took the
space issue into consideration, didn't it?*

* C) **"The postgres sql service started and then stopped. Some services
stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."
How am I supposed to get it in use by another program if I can't get it
started?*

* D) **I found several posts that say postgres needs the secondary logon
service to be running. Mine was not. I set it to automatic and then started
postgres again but I got the same 'started and stopped' error message. What
do I do now to get this going?*

*E) I have AVG Free, which the wiki says should not cause me any problems.*

* F) **The second error just says see the conf file, and then I found out
there is no conf file yet. So am I safe in assuming that once I do create
that (and the error log) that logging and conf issues will not be a
problem? *

thanks!