Slow 1st time query

From: Malik Rumi <malik(dot)a(dot)rumi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Slow 1st time query
Date: 2019-07-28 15:07:48
Lists: pgadmin-support

Last night I loaded a large number of text documents into my database. This
morning I went to look at them through pga4. It was taking a really long
time, so I started googling for slow queries. While I was still doing that,
the query completed. This was the message:

Successfully run. Total query runtime: 11 min.
58656 rows affected.

The 'explain' tab was blank. Mind you, this was a simple query to display
the table. No joins, no where clauses, none of that. Some of these
documents run to 100 pages printed out, but others are as short as ten
lines. There are many more short ones than long ones - if that makes a
difference. This is the first time I have had a db table this big, but I've
read here and in other places of people with much bigger db, so I am pretty
sure this isn't 'right' or 'normal', but I am clueless as to what to do
about it. Is this a one off because it was the first time? I am on PG 11.2
and PGAdmin4 2.+

------
*“None of you has faith until he loves for his brother or his neighbor what
he loves for himself.”*