Re: Sanitize schema name

From: David Niergarth <dn(at)hddesign(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sanitize schema name
Date: 2015-05-11 17:05:23
Lists: psycopg

Lack of something like PQescapeIdentifier has always felt like a hole in
the API. When I need to dynamically add a schema- or table name to a
query *from
a trusted source*, I'll do something like

sql = """
SELECT id
FROM {schema}.{table}
WHERE name = %(spam)s
""".format(schema=my_schema, table=my_table)

cursor.execute(sql, dict(spam=user_spam)

to make it clear where I'm deliberately inserting an identifier. Having a %t or
similar would be much simpler and would handle the untrusted case.

David