Re: Doc limitation update proposal: include out-of-line OID usage per TOAST-ed columns

From: Jakub Wartak <jakub(dot)wartak(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc limitation update proposal: include out-of-line OID usage per TOAST-ed columns
Date: 2024-05-20 10:43:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 8:19 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I looked at your version and wrote something that is shorter and
> doesn't touch any existing text. Here it is.

Hi Robert, you are a real tactician here - thanks for whatever
references the original problem! :) Maybe just slight hint nearby
expensive (to me indicating a just a CPU problem?):

finding an OID that is still free can become expensive ->
finding an OID that is still free can become expensive, thus
significantly increasing INSERT/UPDATE response time.

? (this potentially makes it easier in future to pinpoint the user's
problem to the this exact limitation; but feel free to ignore that too
as I'm not attached to any of those versions)

-J.