Re: FailedAssertion("pd_idx == pinfo->nparts", File: "execPartition.c", Line: 1689)

From: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FailedAssertion("pd_idx == pinfo->nparts", File: "execPartition.c", Line: 1689)
Date: 2020-08-06 13:52:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 2:22 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> In the longer term, it's annoying that we have no test methodology
> >> for this other than "manually set a breakpoint here".
>
> > One of the methods I see is we can just add some GUC variable for some
> > action injection. basically it adds some code based on the GUC like
> this;
>
> See my straw-man proposal downthread. I'm not very excited about putting
> things like this into the standard build, because it's really hard to be
> sure that there are no security-hazard-ish downsides of putting in ways to
> get at testing behaviors from standard SQL. And then there's the question
> of whether you're adding noticeable overhead to production builds. So a
> loadable module that can use some existing hook to provide the needed
> behavior seems like a better plan to me, whenever we can do it that way.
>
> In general, though, it seems like we've seldom regretted investments in
> test tooling.
>
> regards, tom lane

Thanks for your explanation, I checked it again and it looks a very clean
method. The attached is a draft patch based on my understanding. Hope
I didn't misunderstand you..

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-test_module-used-for-concurrency-case-simulation.patch application/octet-stream 5.0 KB