Re: Server vacuuming the same table again and again

From: Дмитрий Шалашов <skaurus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ik(at)postgresql-consulting(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server vacuuming the same table again and again
Date: 2014-04-25 08:22:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Ilya!

> Actually, thise two things are tightly bound and there is no chance to avoid
vacuum, you can only postpone it, this kind of work eventually supposed to
be done.

I understand that autovacuum has to be done, but not right after previous
autovacuum? And then again and again.
And after cancelling that first autovacuum I started another one by hand;
from there no autovacuum was cancelled.

> ionice autovacuum instead of mission critical ckeckpointer or bgwriter
Yeah, that was desperate. I restarted server when I had a chance - to drop
my ionice settings back to defaults.

> Which exact values have you in the following settings:

autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.1
autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 50
autovacuum_freeze_max_age = 200000000
autovacuum_max_workers = 3
autovacuum_naptime = 60
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1
autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.2
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 50
log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0

All defaults except last one I believe.

Minwhile I noticed in the night logs:
checkpoints are occurring too frequently (138 seconds apart)
Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".

Increased checkpoint_segments to 256 and reloaded config.

Best regards,
Dmitriy Shalashov