Re: type cache cleanup improvements

From: Artur Zakirov <zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: type cache cleanup improvements
Date: 2024-10-15 08:45:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 15 Oct 2024 at 10:09, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > /* Call check_delete_rel_type_cache() if we actually cleared something */
> > if (hadTupDescOrOpclass)
> > delete_rel_type_cache_if_needed(typentry);
> >
> > /*
> > * Call check_delete_rel_type_cache() if we cleaned
> > * TCFLAGS_HAVE_PG_TYPE_DATA flag previously.
> > */
> > if (hadPgTypeData)
> > delete_rel_type_cache_if_needed(typentry);
> >
> > check_delete_rel_type_cache don't exist, so these comments are wrong?
>
> Yep, they didn't get updated. Fixed in the attached patchset.

Thank you Alexander for the fixes. The last version of the patch looks
good to me.

> I'm not sure I get the point. This check ensures that type entry has
> something to be cleared. In this case we need to keep
> RelIdToTypeIdCacheHash entry to find this item on invalidation
> message. I'm not sure how TCFLAGS_DOMAIN_BASE_IS_COMPOSITE is
> relevant here, because it's valid only for TYPTYPE_DOMAIN while this
> patch deals with TYPTYPE_COMPOSITE.

Regarding this discussion earlier, I assumed that TYPTYPE_DOMAIN also
needs to be handled by `insert_rel_type_cache_if_needed()`. And it
seems that handling of TYPTYPE_DOMAIN will remain the same as before.

--
Kind regards,
Artur