Re: values not fitting in query result columns, and some ideas

From: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Gene Thomas <gene(at)nlc(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: values not fitting in query result columns, and some ideas
Date: 2017-11-08 12:21:12
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Gene Thomas <gene(at)nlc(dot)co(dot)nz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Firstly, thanks for pgadmin 4, I have found it useful. 1. However,
> I would really appreciate, if when displaying query results, the columns
> were resized to fit the values. I recently spent quite some time being
> misled because the leading digits in some numbers were cut off because the
> column was not wide enough, and there was no indication that the start of
> the number was truncated.

​The grid layout is kept to fit the result set on most of the screen
resolutions and we are doing this intentionally as pgAdmin4 uses on-demand
logic for data retrieval from database server, so we can't predict the size
for next columns in advance, as the data in a column may vary. Just
consider the simple scenario where column-x in Row-1 has text of length 10
characters and
in Row-
​2​

​it ​
has
​text
of length 10
​000​
characters
​.​

> 2. Also it would be useful if one could configure the display so text
> values are show in ‘quotes’, I have to deal with padded values so it would
> be really useful to see when there is padding. The display of null as
> [null] is much appreciated.

​The feature you are requesting will mislead other users, if the actual
result will starts with quotes then user might face the problems in
inserting/updating the data.

> 3. Also being able to display the query result transposed would be useful,
> e.g. column headings down the side and the rows displayed in columns.

Could you please provide more details on this, what's the specific benefit
we (as a pgAdmin4 user) may get from this feature?​

> 4. Also being able to display table definitions, i.e. \d table_name in
> psql would be useful, one has to quickly check table definitions some
> times.

​\d is feature of psql, if you want to see the database object definition
quickly you can simply select the respective object in browser tree and
select the SQL tab. ​

--
Regards,
Murtuza Zabuawala