Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3055] Allow user to sort the data in View data mode

From: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3055] Allow user to sort the data in View data mode
Date: 2018-03-27 10:25:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:26 PM, Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Joao De Almeida Pereira <
>> jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hackers,
>>>
>>> @Murtuza: The patch codewise looks good. Nice to see that we are using
>>> axios instead of jquery ajax calls and that there is some coverage for the
>>> change.
>>> Nevertheless the Javascript testing looks a bit slim and could be
>>> improved. Also the DataSorting class could have some other member functions
>>> like the model validation could be extracted out so that it is easily
>>> tested.
>>>

>>> @Hackers: This was how we tried to test this feature:
>>> 1 - Started pgAdmin
>>> 2 - Opened the query tool for a specific server
>>> 3 - Executed a SQL statment
>>> 4 - Pressed the column header to try to order, nothing happened
>>> 5 - Right clicked the column header to see if it was there the option,
>>> nothing
>>>
>>> This is the behavior that we were expecting, not to have to open Data
>>> View and then press the icon that is not even near the grid in order to
>>> sort the column. Is this really the way we want people to use the grid in
>>> pgAdmin? Should it be more intuitive?
>>>

>> Have we considered making the grid behave more like excel or other grids?
>> I think that having the ascending and descending inside the column header,
>> we could similarly provide filtering. Something that would give users a
>> more intuitive place to look.
>>

> Doing the sorting via header clicks is convenient but very restrictive.
> How do you specify multiple columns to sort by for example? The current
> design allows you to select columns and the sort order as you see fit.

Another reason we can't use that because w
e have already occupied that behaviour for selecting entire column
​ when user clicks on header.
As Dave suggested, I will be merging it with filter dialog meaning it will
be accessible via direct button on toolbar & keyboard shortcut.​