PostgreSQL Stand By Database Server backup (without using pg_basebackup)

From: girish R G peetle <giri(dot)anamika0(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Stand By Database Server backup (without using pg_basebackup)
Date: 2015-08-26 07:01:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,
We want to perform File System based backup of PostgreSQL Standby Database
server.

For Primary server we perform backup of data directory after invoking
pg_start_backup, once this is done, execute pg_stop_backup and backup
archived transaction logs.

We are not able to follow same procedure for Standby server as
pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup cannot be executed on stand by.

I am aware that pg_basebackup utility can be used to perform backup of
standby but we don't want to use this utility. ( As backup of data
directory is handled by third party backup vendor)

In this case what is the recommended way to backup standby database server
(without using pg_basebackup utility) ?

Thanks
Girish