Re: PostgreSQL Stand By Database Server backup (without using pg_basebackup)

From: girish R G peetle <giri(dot)anamika0(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Stand By Database Server backup (without using pg_basebackup)
Date: 2016-01-21 16:11:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Laurenz,
Apologize to reopen a old thread.
You had suggested to follow below steps:
- pg_start_backup - master
- File system backup of DATA directory on standby
- pg_stop_backup - master.
- Backup required archive logs - primary.

Here one issue is we won't have 'backup_label' file available on standby to
backup. We might end up restoring the database in a inconsistent state ?

I see below note for backup_label file.

pgdevel <https://bitbucket.org/adunstan/pgdevel.git>
/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c
* read_backup_label: check to see if a backup_label file is present
*
* If we see a backup_label during recovery, we assume that we are recovering
* from a backup dump file, and we therefore roll forward from the checkpoint
* identified by the label file, NOT what pg_control says. This avoids the
* problem that pg_control might have been archived one or more checkpoints
* later than the start of the dump, and so if we rely on it as the start
* point, we will fail to restore a consistent database state.

Thanks
Girish