Re: [SPAM] Users: must all Pg users be system users?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Browder <tom(dot)browder(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Moreno Andreo <moreno(dot)andreo(at)evolu-s(dot)it>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Users: must all Pg users be system users?
Date: 2017-09-18 21:40:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Tom Browder <tom(dot)browder(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Using createuser I guess takes care of that.

​No, creation of roles (users and/or groups) and databases​ are completely
independent - whether you use SQL directly or the shell wrappers.

The reason they seem related is that by convention, for the provided shell
tools, if one does not specify a database name explicitly the connection
routine will fill in the unknown with the name of the (if applicable,
mapped) user. But this is only convention/convenience and, for an
application developer, not particularly useful since usually I'll have one
application database and multiple authenticated users with varying roles
within my application.

David J.