Re: Restricting access to SHOW/SET

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mats Julian Olsen <mats(at)plysjbyen(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restricting access to SHOW/SET
Date: 2020-05-27 15:26:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 8:18 AM Mats Julian Olsen <mats(at)plysjbyen(dot)net>
wrote:

> I want to restrict a user from using SHOW and SET commands, but after
> searching for hours I can't find a solution to this. What am I missing?

This cannot be done, and wouldn't be a complete solution even if it could.

The configuration of, and all object definitions in, the database are
considered public knowledge in PostgreSQL. Only table contents and the
capability to execute functions/procedures are secured - either directly
or, as a convenience method, by restricting access to the schema in which
they are contained.

David J.