Re: Test mail for pgsql-general

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Miller <cjm(at)tryx(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Test mail for pgsql-general
Date: 2024-09-10 23:26:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday, September 10, 2024, Chris Miller <cjm(at)tryx(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am confused about authentication. I understand that in the local
> connection case, I have choices of “peer”, and “md5” (password).
>

> In pg_hba.conf, I have the lines:
>

> local all all peer
>
> local all all md5

The second line is pointless, the first three columns are compared against
the incoming connection host/user/dbname to find out how authentication
should be handled. The first match wins. So for every local connection
peer, and only peer, is going to be used since everything matches all/all.

There is no way to give a user a choice of how to authenticate. There will
be one accepted option for a given set of connection values.

David J.