Re: BUG #13661: Using word LIMIT

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: kmursk(at)rambler(dot)ru
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13661: Using word LIMIT
Date: 2015-10-02 16:05:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 5:32 AM, <kmursk(at)rambler(dot)ru> wrote:

> Bug reference: 13661
> Logged by: Danilenko Andrey
> Email address: kmursk(at)rambler(dot)ru
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.1
> Operating system: Windows
>
> Word LIMIT is a clause of SQL-statement and could not be used as a name of
> column. But it is possible to create table with this column-name. And for
> all that such column-name transforms in upper case. That is bug, because
> there shoud not be possibility to use name LIMIT at all with clause CREATE
> TABLE. And moreover there shoud not be implicit case-transformation

As John indicated naming has quite a few rules and dynamics associated with
it. If you do not provide exactly what you are typing in or viewing it is
hard to provide a targeted response and we end up quoting you the manual
with a few personal embellishments.

Implicit case transformation to all upper-case is indeed unexpected but
lacking a reproducible example it is going to be attributed to user-error
and not a bug.

David J.