Re: roles that have the CREATEROLE privilege can no longer GRANT predefined roles

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: shamilsadique(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: roles that have the CREATEROLE privilege can no longer GRANT predefined roles
Date: 2024-05-14 01:34:12
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 3:36 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2024-05-01 at 16:09 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/predefined-roles.html
> >
> > roles that have the CREATEROLE privilege can no longer GRANT predefined
> > roles unless they are part of it having the WITH ADMIN option. this
> needs to
> > be corrected in the documentation
>
> I see what you mean. This text:
>
> Administrators (including roles that have the CREATEROLE privilege)
> can GRANT these roles to users and/or other roles ...
>
> should probably become
>
> Administrators (including roles that have the CREATEROLE privilege and
> have been
> granted the predefined role with the ADMIN option)
> can GRANT these roles to users and/or other roles ...

I would suggest just replacing the attempt at describing "performing
group membership" here with a link to:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/role-membership.html
Like this:
"Normal roles can exercise these privileges by being added as
member of these group roles as described in <xref>."

There isn't anything about these predefined roles and role membership that
doesn't apply to any other role.

Though skimming that section it seems to need updating along the lines
discussed above.

David J.