Re: How to watch for schema changes

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to watch for schema changes
Date: 2018-07-12 16:16:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > No, see:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createtrigger.html
> >
> > AFTER trigger on views are STATEMENT level only.
>
> But I do have access to the STATEMENT right?

​Yes, except nothing in the system actually attempts to directly target
information_schema views with updates so there will never be a triggering
event.​

A normal trigger will not work - which is a large reason why event triggers
were implemented.

All of the alternative ideas (which I think was just log file parsing)
you've decided are not viable for your need. Thus you've seemingly
eliminated all viable options and you now need to make a business decision.

David J.

p.s. Please remove the excess quoted material before hitting send. At
minimum anything after the last text that you write.​