Re: PostgreSQL and Linux CPU's

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sbob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Linux CPU's
Date: 2022-01-20 23:27:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:22 PM Sbob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com> wrote:

> I am looking for information on how PostgreSQL leverages or interfaces
> with CPU's on Linux. Does PostgreSQL let Linux do the work? Does it
> bypass the OS? Any information or docs you can send my way would be much
> appreciated.

PostgreSQL is a user land process in Linux. Linux doesn't allow itself to
be bypassed by user land processes when dealing with the CPU. That is kind
of its main reason for existing...

PostgreSQL uses a process forking model and each process runs on a single
thread.

You can probably verify all of that by perusing the PostgreSQL
documentation. Don't know what to recommend regarding Linxu, user land,
kernel mode, and CPUs...

David J.