Re: Using row_to_json with %ROWTYPE ?

From: David Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tim Smith <randomdev4+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using row_to_json with %ROWTYPE ?
Date: 2015-02-05 23:38:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Tim Smith <randomdev4+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> You're most welcome to look at my view definition view if you don't
> believe me ....
>
> View definition:
> SELECT a.session_id,
> a.session_ip,
> a.session_user_agent,
> a.session_start,
> a.session_lastactive,
> b.user_id,
> b.tenant_id,
> b.reseller_id,
> b.tenant_name,
> b.user_fname,
> b.user_lname,
> b.user_email,
> b.user_phone,
> b.user_seed,
> b.user_passwd,
> b.user_lastupdate,
> b.tenant_lastupdate
> FROM app_sessions a,
> app_users_vw b
> WHERE a.user_id = b.user_id;

​So that view and definition are correct.

So either PostgreSQL is seeing a different view (in a different schema) or
the function is confused in ways difficult to predict.

I guess it is possible that:

(SELECT v_​row FROM v_row) would give that message but I get a "relation
v_row does not exist" error when trying to replicate the scenario.

​It may even be a bug but since you have not provided a self-contained test
case, nor the version of PostgreSQL, the assumption is user error.​

David J.